Those of you who have been coming here for 11 (ELEVEN!) years, thank you. This year is a bit of a sea change. Luke and I have been together since List the Fourth and, while I could continue to hash material from my 20′s forever, I am happy, and joyous, and less cynical than in years past, in large part due to this incredible relationship. So, this year, I offer just a few short words on the subject. You see, while Luke and I have been together for much less time than many of the couples we know, we are much happier than … a lot of couples, regardless of how long they’ve been together. Because I hope to be with him for much, much longer, just a few things…
1) Healthy relationships aren’t built on common interests. When you go through the death of a parent or the birth of a child or anything else of significance, it won’t matter if you both listen to the Misfits and hate Uggs. The mutual interests that are built together are the best ones, anyway.
2) Parameters are established through word and through action. After long enough, actions cancel out words. Any unexpected change in parameters without talking with your partner is a breach.
3) “Be the type of man whom you want your daughters (or future daughters) to marry.”
-Pater James Moore
4) Your dating dealbreakers will become the things that you find adorable about your life partner.
5) Never stop riding motorcycles together. Never stop doing the glorious, ridiculous, bonding things that drew you to each other in the first place.
For previous years, go here.
To purchase last year’s book of all ten lists, go here.